If you suspect that you might suffer from social anxiety disorder, answer the questions below.
If you answer Yes to most of these questions, you might consider consulting a health care professional for a more in-depth assessment.
Are you troubled by the following?
- An intense and persistent fear of a social situation in which people might judge you
- Fear that you will be humiliated by your actions
- Fear that people will notice that you are blushing, sweating, trembling, or showing other signs of anxiety
- Knowing that your fear is excessive or unreasonable
Does a feared situation cause you to…
- …always feel anxious?
- …experience a panic attack, during which you suddenly are overcome by intense fear or discomfort, including any of these symptoms:
- Pounding heart
- Trembling or shaking
- Chest pain
- nausea or abdominal discomfort
- Feelings of unreality or being detached from yourself
- ‘Jelly’ legs
- Fear of losing control or ‘going crazy’
- Fear of dying
- Numbness or tingling sensations
- Chills/hot flushes
- try to avoid participating?
- Have your symptoms interfered with your daily life?
Having more than one illness at the same time can make it difficult to diagnose and treat the different conditions. Depression and substance abuse are among the conditions that occasionally complicate social anxiety disorder.
- Have you experienced changes in sleeping or eating habits?
- More days than not, do you feel sad or depressed?
- More days than not, do you feel uninterested in life?
- More days than not, do you feel worthless or guilty?
During the last year, has the use of alcohol or drugs…
- …resulted in your failure to fulfil responsibilities with work, school, or family?
- …placed you in a dangerous situation, such as driving a car under the influence?
- …resulted in your being arrested?
- …continued despite causing problems for you or your loved ones?
For further information please contact:
Professor Christopher R. Stones (Clinical Psychologist and Behavioural Management Specialist)
Phone: 011-801-5616 (Reception)
Alternatively send a booking request.
NHC Health Centre
Cnr Christiaan de Wet Road & Dolfyn Street
(opposite Eagle Canyon Auto)